1.09.2011

More goodies for the bags

I've needed to wrap things up for weeks but until this weekend, I haven't felt like my life has slowed down from the Christmas rush.

Here are the final goodies that were put together for the ladies...The King's English graciously donated thoughtfully-chosen books and a gift certificate which I used to purchase another book for the bags. It's difficult for small businesses to donate to a cause that isn't an organized charity (501(c)3) because they can't take their donation as a write-off. I appreciate The King's English's kindness and willingness to help.

And, Dawn, the woman I talked to, gave me great advice about setting up a charity and told me about a charity she founded called, The Book Wagon, that provides books to children living in low-income housing in Salt Lake City.

One lucky mother received this cute Simplify frame in her bag. Most bags received a Sudoku book and about 35 women received copies of The Mother In Me: Real World Reflections on Growing into Motherhood. It's a collection of essays about young motherhood, on topics such as infertility, adoption, birth, and raising children up to age 5. I read it while I was on bed rest with the twins and found it to be so uplifting.

Cactus & Tropicals donated six beautiful poinsettias. I gave them to the moms I saw at the U in early December. Have you ever been to Cactus & Tropicals (located in Holladay and Draper)? Every little detail of their store is so inspiring.


Two kind women sent me checks. I held onto them until the very end so I could fill in the bags with whatever we needed. I purchased 20 great picture frames from Wal-mart for $2.50 each! I know I loved having a picture of my family nearby when I was in the hospital. These frames had "LOVE" in large cut-out letters, and short phrases like "Laugh out loud" and "Live in wonder".

Contempo Tile donated these 6x6 inch tiles and my sister, Ali, sent me the vinyl from Georgia. When we struggled with the vinyl transfer, two women stepped in to help us cut more vinyl. Thank you!!

More donations of cards, notebooks, nail files, and slipper socks from kind friends. Thank you!!

More body washes and lotions were donated by fabulous friends. They were then packaged into these little bags below.

Each bag had nail polish, lotion/body wash, chapstick, and a nail file.

Ruby Snap donated delicious cookies for each bag. Thanks to Megan for working with Ruby Snap for that generous donation. I bought a dozen cookies when I went to pick up the donation. It's hard to pick a favorite but I'd probably go with the Virginia, which on their website, is described as:

"They’re REAL good, so says Virginia. Robust ginger and dark molasses in a chewy cookie, rolled in raw turbinado sugar."

That's one seriously amazing cookie.

No comments: